Sunday, May 17, 2009

Good Morning

So it is the middle of May so what better to do then start ranking the teams. ESPN decided to give us this gift for the weekend. Here is their top 25, the contenders and of course the power rankings for each conference. (Including the great Non BCS conference.) Obviously it is insanely early to be saying these things but what else could we possibly discuss? Real news? Heavens no.

Just a couple of observations from the list. Obviously Florida is number 1 and I think can only be followed by Texas, Oklahoma and USC in any order. I will be surprised if anyone outside of these teams play for the National Title in January. Florida is loaded and could drop a game and still make it in. Texas and Oklahoma are head over heels better than anyone in the Big XII and is why that duel in October will be so critical. (Sorry Joe, I couldn't find the "Teddy Lehman and he can flat fly clip.")USC is a little different because they lost so many players off that great defense and the 5th pick in the draft at QB. But it is USC and they will be considered a title contender. I think they will have an uphill battle though because it is an odd year and they have a ton of tough road games. They have tough in conference games that include at Oregon, at Cal and at Arizona St. On to top of that they have to travel to the Horseshoe and go to South Bend. (I know it hasn't been a game since this happened but you never know.) All these road games are going to be tough and that is why I think Aaron Corp starts over Barkley because that can be a ton to handle for a frosh.

Outside of those 4 teams I have a tough time for making a case for any other teams. Ohio St will be the best team in the Big Ten but their most talented players are sophomores and frosh so I expect them to be a year away. Virginia Tech will be the favorite in the ACC but with how deep that conference is I doubt they can make it through unscathed. Plus they play a team, Bama, in the first week that I think is a title contender. I will give any Saban team with a veteran defense a fighting chance so matter what they lost on offense. (If you want to learn more about Saban's defense, see here. Sometimes I get lost on Smart Football.) Not much in the Big East to get the blood pumping. Let me know your thoughts and who you feel can make a run at the dance or who can dance period. ?

Some other links from the week. The good Doctor broke down Non conference scheduling way better than I did here and here. Some people from a strange land are celebrating for some reason. (Argggggg, "Damn you Troy Smith, damn you!!!!!) Brian cranks out a pretty good article for a Friday.

That is all from me, take it easy.

3 comments:

  1. Roarty,
    How many Pirates games are you going to this next week?
    That 11warriors article is pretty entertaining...Pitt is starting to work on that type of streak against my Mountaineers. Brian Bennet is an idiot, ranking WVU T-4th in the Big East...wtf? I normally really like his blog. I still haven't sent you that rejected e-mail. I'll get right on it. It'll be funny to talkabout what we thought was important a month ago.
    I will always call the game "The Red River Shootout" just like that game in Jacksonville should be called "The World's largest Cocktail Party".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,



    How bout those Blackhawks? Nothing says 2009 like stereotyping an entire race of people (forcefully removed from their lands, consequently destroying their culture) as savages to be feared on a fake frozen pond. I’m just kidding about all of that of course. Redskins is the only name that I think needs to go.

    Anyways, I’m glad to see that SRM isn’t dead. I was worried for a while when I couldn’t access your site. I thought about calling to make sure you were okay out there, but then I didn’t. Just wanted to see what going on with you. Zanic says there might be a trip out to Chicago to see you and the Pirates at some point this summer? I’d be down for that if there was one.

    And another thing…What the F is Dick Rod thinking with all this Greg Paulus (aka bizzarro Greenberg) nonsense? He’s going to come run your spread offense for 1 year? How does that help the program? And for Paulus, if this what he thinks he needs to do to be drafted by an NFL team, shouldn’t he go somewhere that runs a more pro-style offense? Maybe he’s just thinking that UofM is the more high-profile team with a very shitty QB situation…I don’t know.

    I hope this reaches you in good health and sound mind, Joe

    Update: Paulus is going to Syracuse, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe,

    I am in good health amazingly, not sure how that has happened. I am going to a game or two next week with my buccos hat on and a pens shirt on my chest. Not sure what is up with Rich Rod and the Paulus situation. I think it was more PR from Paulus's side. We have two good frosh but of course they are both frosh so they will be mediocre at best.

    I have been in contact with Zanic and Marx about the road trip they are talking about coming out here for the weekend of August 14th when the Buccos come to town. I can take off friday and we can hit up day games on both that day and saturday. You will love the enviorment at Wrigly and laugh at the depressed Cubs fans. (Fan: "I cant believe Milton Bradley is struggling." Me: "I can.") Kardos is talking about coming out as well, it should be solid. I should be able to get solid tickets as well because of my old gig at Stub Hub. I am glad you still read up and I hope all is well in the Burgh. I will be back for the weekend of June 12th. We should meet up.

    ReplyDelete